Tuesday, May 02, 2006

leaving new york, never easy, i saw the light fading out

Huge bonus points if you actually know that song. It's one of my favorites by that particular group, incidentally.

I had to go to New York City today for work. Specifically, to the Upper East Side, pictured here. I'll admit it -- there are days when I really don't like having to go. It takes about 2 hours door-to-door, and when you add 4 more hours onto the workday, that is one longass time. Especially if you're, oh I don't know, maybe underpaid and maybe underappreciated.

Not that I'm saying I've either of those things. Everyone knows how much I love my job. Right, everyone? And everyone knows how happy I am to be an employee and have a paycheck and benefits and everything that I just want to come to work everyday and, well, hump my chair! Right, everyone?

Well anyway, so yeah, it takes a long time to get there. A dinky, a train, and either one or two subways, depending on if I decide to walk a few blocks or not. Lots of walking too. Most of the time I really don't mind it, but some days, it is really really hard.

See, when I first started going to the NY office of Startup-dot-org (back before we were even launched as a startup) I thought this meant I had finally made the bigtime. I have business cards! I have a laptop! And I am needed in New York! Yeah! Check me out -- living the glamorous life just like Sheila E. sang about! She wants to lead the glamorous life, she don't need a man's touch...

Well, today the glamorous life wasn't quite so glamorous. I took the dinky without incident and got on the train. It was an express, meaning that it left Princeton Junction and wasn't going to stop until Newark. Usually, this is good news. Today, it was not. About 10 minutes after getting on the train, I got very, very sick. Very sick. The bad kind of sick. I felt all of a sudden like I'd been hit in the head with a hammer and I was instantly completely nauseated, and I knew what that meant: migraine. I also knew that there was imminent puking on the way.

I didn't have much time to move, and of course I was not in a train car with a bathroom, so I ran to the vestibule that connected my car to the next and I puked off the side of the train. I am all class, my babies. All class! The conductor came along, asked me if I was done (weird!), and then helped me back to my seat. I decided that puking = automatic sick day, but unfortunately since I was on an express I had to ride that fucking train all the way up to Newark before I could catch a southbound train back home. Fuckity.

The very nice conductor gave me a free ticket back to Princeton (thank you, Mr. Conductor, love you!) and it took about two hours, but I made it back home. Those two hours gave the migraine killers some time to start working their magic. I made some phone calls to let people know that I wouldn't be either in NY or Princeton, and I went home and slept. I feel better now. I still have some of the headache aura and still some of the weird quesy agita that comes with the migraine, but hey, at least I'm not puking anymore and I also no longer feel like there's a hammer hitting me in the head. Those $20/each migraine pills are magic, people. Magic!

So I set out for New York this morning but I settled for puking over the side of a train. Does that make me any less glamorous? Am I not still living the Sheila E. song here?

She wants to lead
the glamorous life

without love
it ain't much

32 comments:

Real said...

First comment.

jin said...

I can't believe you are blogging such funny comments with after-migraine-linger! (Yes. I know ALL about those bastards! Oh, the places I have puked...never off of a train, though!)

jin said...

Simultaneous comment, real.

Lesley said...

He was 4 seconds ahead. Better luck next time!

btw, IRS, are you always this fast? I'm just wondering.

jin said...

Oh! Lesley! That comment hit below the belt!

Real said...

Well, it is always better when everyone comes together.

To comment.

Happily, I know nothing about having migraines. I know I have given a few, as in, not tonight I have migraine.

Lesley said...

Below the belt? Where's that? Lasbia???

IRS - I agree with you about the uh coming together. Never actually achieved that one, but practicing sure is fun.

Real said...

Yes I am always this fast, but there is usually more than one in me. Comments again.

jin said...

lol...aw...poor real! I have never used it as an excuse like that!

Lesley said...

Me neither. I prefer to keep it real.

Real said...

LMAO at Lasbia.

Lesley said...

time for some glamorous sleep in my glamorous life.

Good night, my lovelies.

Real said...

Obviously both of you have never lived with me. I remember a couple of bunny rabbits in the next once asked if I ever stoped.

Commenting. I am always commenting.

jin said...

Oh...you guys, I got so behind...David came in to talk to me...I told him to type in and say hello to you two but he wouldn't. :-(

Good night lesley!

Real said...

night my ducky.

Lesley said...

Good night, jin (and David too).

And sweet dreams to you, my ducky.

Ace said...

Why didn't you get off at Metropark, or Edison? There are stops on the Express between PJ and Newark Airport... were you past 'em? I'm assuming you were past New Brunswick, though.

That sucks. I was on the train coming back from New York on the weekend, and this guy had to help this lady kept getting up and going into the bathroom. The last time, she went in before Edison and wasn't out by PJ (which is like half an hour) and her husband finally had to tell the poor schmucks waiting that she was sick.

Lesley said...

The express I was on stops at Trenton, Hamilton, PJ, and then not again until Newark. I thought I had mentioned that.

Freak Magnet said...

Isn't there medication you can take to help prevent migraines? I used to take them back in the day. ThankfreakingGOD I don't get them anymore. You are my hero for having to deal with them.

Lesley said...

Awwww... thanks, Freak!

I only get them during certain days of the month. I can't take the preventative meds because one of their side effects is that they aggravate the exotic ovary disease I have. Right now I'm averaging once every other month with them, which isn't so bad.

Real said...

btw

You might have laughed if I told you
You might have hidden A frown
You might have succeeded in changing me
I might have been turned around

Lesley said...

it's easier to leave than to be left behind
leaving was never my proud
leaving new york, never easy
i saw the light fading out


I am so impressed. You win the prize!

Real said...

Well well.
We seem to be exchanging prized tonight.

Lesley said...

Okay, when I got this comment, this is the link that Gmail had for me at the top:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20060501/tutpnis_arc.html?source=rss

CRAZY!!!

Norman said...

I hope that I never get a migraine when I am on a train, 'cause I can't stand pain!

jin said...

What!? I missed out on another prize here?

*jin walks off pouting big-time!*




YAY! no word verification!

Lesley said...

Shhhh... I didn't give IRS his prize yet. I actually haven't thought of one. Unless he'd like a smackdown.

Yes, I ditched the word verification, but if I get spammed, I'm blaming you and IRS!

Real said...

Ummmmm.
Smackdown.


I love inside jokes.

Lesley said...

reading the word "inside" just made me giggle...

Real said...

How is the company in that gutter.

Lesley said...

I think it's pretty cozy here, ducky. :)

Real said...

I am actually going to bed tonight.
Look forward to the post for tommorow.