Monday, September 11, 2006

in omnia pax

It's the anniversary of 9/11, and I don't have anything profound to say. Instead, I commend to you St. Francis' prayer for peace.

Make me a channel of your peace.
Where there is hatred let me bring your love.
Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord.
And where there's doubt, true faith in you.

Make me a channel of your peace.
Where there's despair in life, let me bring hope.
Where there is darkness, only light.
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

Oh divine Creator, grant that I may never seek
so much to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love with all my soul.

Make me a channel of your peace.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.
In giving of ourselves that we receive.
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.


Be gentle with yourselves today, dear readers. The snark will return tomorrow.

3 comments:

Real said...

Sometimes I am convinced the world would make more sense if time moved in reverse. Just think 5 years from now planes would fly out of the towers and they would spring back to being the defining monoliths of the NY skyline and 3000 people would return to live and it would just somehow make more sense that way. Of course if time did move backwards St. Francis would be a real eh-hole.

Anonymous said...

I have not seen this version of the Peace Prayer before? Did you rewrite? I know the old version, "Make me an instrument of your peace, etc." Once upon a time this was my favorite prayer. Now I make do with "Keep watch Dear Lord with those who work or watch or weep this night and give your angels charge over those who sleep, forgive us our sins Lord, everyone, and bring us safely to the morning light".

Lesley said...

real - so would that be the bizzaro world I've heard so much about? ;)

anonymous - No, I didn't rewrite it, it's from a version of the prayer set to music. The only change I made was to take out any engendered language. I say this prayer quite a bit, but usually I sing it.