Thursday, September 28, 2006

thirsty thursday!

This blog needs more pictures. Today you get one. Lucky you.

Yes, that is yours very truly there, enjoying some cool, refreshing water while at my desk having way too much fun writing new code (for seven straight hours) and editing other people's fuck-ups errors.

Now, mind you, it's not the best picture in the world since it was taken with my camera phone and all, but I'm a little worried... am I starting to get that unhealthy pallor that all techies get from spending all their time indoors staring at monitors? Come on, you can tell me.

But anyway, since there's water in the picture, I decided this was Thirsty Thursday! I've switched to just drinking water while at work, and I think I'm feeling a difference. So I'm sending a shoutout to all my officebound peeps and reminding you to also DRINK YOUR WATER. It's good for you! And the bathroom breaks are a welcome distraction!

Of course, I should probably tell you that I only drink water at work after I've finished my morning coffee. But isn't that a given? You wouldn't expect me to function without it, now would you?

I stopped this morning at Starbucks before work, which I hadn't done in a long time. Mostly in the mornings I had been opting for the regular coffee, or what my peeps at Small World call a "double roomy joe to go." This felt like a Starbucks morning, however. It just did. Don't ask me why.

At every Starbucks where I have ever been a frequent customer, there's always one barista who becomes my favorite. And amazingly, several times this barista has been given the moniker of Cute Starbucks Man. (Special note to Real: Don't be jealous of my baristacrush. Roughly 95% of this crush is due to the fact that he serves me coffee.)

Well, today, my newest Cute Starbucks Man waited on me. He was all "Hey Lesley! Haven't seen you here in a while!" and then Fun Starbucks Girl and Existential Starbucks Boy both chimed in that they hadn't seen me in a while either. I should start warning them if I'm going to be out of town, or changing my coffee drinking habits, I guess.

I ordered a grande nonfat sugar-free vanilla latte. And it was good. It was very good. But people, sometimes I miss the sugar. And I miss the fat too. *sniff*

As I was walking back to my car, I saw one of those gianormous Cadillac Escalades pull in. The guy driving it was one of those guys who looks like he spends way too much time at the gym, the tanning place, and wherever it is they sell haircare products. And it was rather obvious that he thought he was hot shit in this Escalade. And then, I saw that he had a personalized licence plate (of course), and his plates read... LETSHKUP. Uh... the who and the what now?

Using my mad crossword skillz, I'd have to say that that plate translates to "Let's Hook Up." I kid you not. I wish I could have snapped a picture of this bozo and the spectacle that was him, his car, and its ridiculous license plate, but I was laughing too hard.

And besides, I had to drive to work. No time for pictures, let alone time to hook up with random strangers. Especially not when I've got a latte waiting for me.

9 comments:

Jenn from WA said...

I'll give you one big HALLALUJAH for the cute starbucks baristas. I think its in their training manual that each store must have at minimum ONE hot guy. Fortunate for the world, there's a starbucks on every corner...at least it seems that way in the Emerald City.

With regards to the license plate, I didn't get Let's Hook UP. I got Let's Shack up. What the heck is wrong with me? I'd rather hook up than shack up.

jin said...

Ok...nice piccie...but all I could think about was 'what's going through Real's mind looking at you n that bottle!'
Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
LMAO!!!
Ok, so I'm THE perv.
:-P

Lesley said...

jenn - I agree. Except for me, the hot guy is the shy, dark-haired pudgy guy with the cute smile. Always.

jin - LMAO! Well... I'm sure he's thinking of something very very innocent. Like sockmonkeys. Am I right, Real? ;)

Ace said...

You think Mr. Escalade's compensating for something?

Real said...

Yes, innocent sockmonkeys.

Tiffanie said...

Leslie. I love your posts. I've been having problems posting....

So I hope this gets through to you. I can't comment on Real's blog at all. It shuts down and completely kicks me off the internet.

Stewie said...

Don't you love it when you get the barista love?

That's why I love my coffee shop.

And I'm gonna get personalized plates that say "UWNTTHIS".

That will get me the ladies, for sure.

Lesley said...

ace - I think that's pretty safe to say!

real - now it's my turn to blush...

tiffanie - Aw, thank you! I'm sorry Blogger is giving you problems. It was wonky for me yesterday but today it seems better.

stewie - Oh yes, license plate skillz are something you want. Chicks dig guys with skillz.

MoSup said...

Oh, nuts. It isn't "Let's Hike the U.P." then.