Wednesday, September 20, 2006

what have you done today to make you feel proud?

If you recognize the title of this post, then that must mean that you also watch the Biggest Loser! Hey, say whatever you want about reality TV, I don't care. I heart that show. I felt very inspired by watching it. I haven't determined yet which people will be my favorites this season, but it's early. I'm not sure how I feel about the new trainer. Where the hell is Jillian? I liked her!

But anyway, I think the theme song asks a good question. I asked myself "what have you done today to make you feel proud?" and here's what I came up with:

- Confronted the non-supervisor micromanaging pain in the ass (hereafter known as "BigFish") about what was going on. Actually, first I talked to the Onion about it and he told me I wasn't the only one complaining. Then he said "So what are you going to do about it?" I almost said "Complain to my supervisor and expect him to handle it?" but I kind of figured that was not the Right Answer. So I called BigFish, and I told him that it was completely unacceptable for him to send me eight emails in one day, all with varying questions about the very same project. I made it clear that "moving forward" (yes, even I can use business jargon when I need to!) I expect no more than ONE email per day from him. Also, any in-depth discussion should be done "in real time" (that means over the phone or face-to-face). And I said that I appreciated his anticipated cooperation with this. Yes, it's true, I got tough-but-fair with him. I even sent a follow-up email that was all "just to review our conversation..." And you know what, people? It felt fucking awesome. Standing up to the stinky BigFish and drawing some clear boundaries made me awful proud of me.

- I got 8,333 steps in today. Okay, so I didn't quite make it to 10,000 but have YOU ever tried getting to 10,000 steps in one day? It is not as easy as it sounds. It's a lot of work, in fact. I went to the gym even though I was having a major case of the No Want It's and I got in my treadmill time and some strength training time. Definitely another thing I've done today to make me feel proud.

- I drank at least 64 oz. of water. I'm sure my kidneys are mighty proud of me for that too.

- And last but not least, I did some writing. Not a whole lot, just some, but enough to share with the best! blogstalkers! ever!

So now I invite you to tell me, What have YOU done today to make you feel proud? Lesleygirl out!

8 comments:

Witty Writter said...

I have mixed feelings about the Biggest Loser. I do agree that trying to improve your health is very noble, not just for the self but also friends and family. I also agree that aiding others in this pursuit is also noble. However, part of me feels that that show is guilty of using the overweight as entertainment. Putting them in televised sideshow if you will.

So while some people find personal motivation which is great good, others who do not fancy themselves as needing to improve their own health view the show as entertainment and might perhaps even mock the contestants (I want even go into the possible ethical issues of treating weight loss as a competition).

So my problem is that if the show is going to approach this subject they should spend a good deal of time informing the viewers of the epic challenge and difficulty of what the contestants are doing, the difficulty and pain of living life treated as an outsider due to aesthetic reason and how criticism can have a dangerous effect triggering lack of hope rather than encouraging healthier habits.

The final question comes down to whether or not you as the viewer feel the show appropriately handles my three duties as listed above. If so than there is a moral and redeemable value to the show, if not it runs the danger of teaching people to criticize and objectify the obese and I contend that that outcome is a very dangerous one and perhaps even evil.

Anonymous said...

Like Witty Writter this show bothers me. I only watched one episode from start to finish, so I am not the best judge. That said, I think overall it is not helpful to the greater good of the fat.

Having been fat for large chunks of my life, I know first hand how hard it is to lose and maintain significant amounts of fat. I think that being viewed by millions, badly dressed and in various states of undress, sweaty and in distress cannot be good for anyone.

I suspect that most of the skinnies and regulars who look at this show do so at our expense.

Then there is the name: THE BIGGEST LOSER. Surely our inner self registers the not entirly subtle message. The biggest loser... which one is that? The one who loses the most? The one who loses the least? The fattest one?

Lesley said...

Wow. I guess I didn't think of it that way.

I was very skeptical about it at first. I had heard that people were going to compete and that they'd have challenges such as having to resist fattening foods in order to win prizes, etc. There are some things I don't like -- I think it's dumb to vote one person off each week. Why not let them stay at the ranch the whole time?

I do feel inspired by watching it, despite the things I don't like. I like things like seeing people succeed, especially those who felt defeated and hopeless before. I try to just take what I want and leave the rest, as that oh-so-cheesy phrase goes.

I do think that it would be a good idea for them to show more about how difficult it is to be overweight in this society. If you get anyone who's overweight talking long enough, they can tell some painful stories, believe me. I'm sure any of the contestants on the show right now could too.

Jenn from WA said...

I did recognize the title,but from Queer as Folk not from Biggest Loser. And oddly enough it was the last song I heard in the car this morning and so is now stuck in my head.

Jenn from WA said...

Oh and regarding what I've done today to make myself feel proud. Well, I'm proud of the following...and it's only 9:30 PST.

1. Didn't kill anyone on the drive to work, didn't even flip anyone off.
2. Said no to chocolate covered chocolate donut...even though it beckoned relentlessly.
3. Haven't killed either of my parents who are currently holding up in my tiny apartment with their two STANDARD poodles.
4. Feel in no way interested in being productive today at work, and have given myself the OKay to not be productive.

MoSup said...

I love Biggest Loser. I watched the whole first season, and I have to say, I've never gotten anything negative out of it.

The show inspires me to do better. I hurt my ankle yesterday, and so instead of doing my usual activity, I laid on the floor and did some ab work during the show. I'm sure I wouldn't have done that much, if it weren't for Biggest Loser.

While probably no one but me would consider myself "overweight," I'm a former gymnast. Any lack of tone or gain of fat is pretty traumatic for me. Biggest Loser helps me. And it helps my boyfriend, who would be a fine contestant for the show.

Today, I got to work earlier than usual. :)

Lesley said...

jenn - Hey, I'm proud of you too! :) Some days you really do need the okay to not be productive. I had a day like that earlier this week, and you know, it felt great!

mosup - You did ab work during the show? That's excellent! Last year I made a deal with myself that I could watch it but I could *only* watch it at the gym, so I'm going to do the same thing this year. Last night was an exception though since it was a two hour premiere and all, and while I can spend one hour on a treadmill watching TV, two hours would be nuts.

Real said...

I laid out of work to work on a school people and to go to a club meeting in an attempt to be more involved in the campus community.

Also so far today I have walked almost as many steps as I did the whole day yesterday.

Go Me.