Thursday, January 25, 2007

factual errors of american idol...

Yes, it's true, I do love the Idol, people, but I feel compelled to point out two (2) factual errors from last night's broadcast.

The auditions were held in NEW JERSEY, not NEW YORK. Granted, they were at the Meadowlands, where the New York Giants and New York Jets both play. But hey, the New Jersey Nets and the New Jersey Devils play there too, so it's Jersey, babies! They kept showing scenes from places like Central Park and Times Square, but I was not fooled. Nice try, Idol!

After that God-awful Sinatra impersonator, Ryan stood in front of the Statue of Liberty and commented on New York, New York. Or "New Yor, New Yor" as that idiot sang. But the Statue of Liberty? She is standing in NEW JERSEY, not New York. So that makes her a Jersey Girl too. Just like me. Just so you know.


After I wrote yesterday's post in which I talked about my North Jersey accent I realized that for many of you the notion of North Jersey conjures up this image:

Which is really nothing like the happy little commuter town in which I spent most of my formative years.

That's the local train station. Nifty! It was right by a big hill where we used to go sledding, and also one block away from "downtown". Once you were in third grade you could "go downtown" for lunch as long as your parents wrote a note saying it was okay. There was a pizzeria downtown which was all sorts of fun. My mom would give me $2 which was enough for 2 slices of pizza and a small soda, with 50 cents leftover to buy candy. So you see, that's nothing like the Sopranos. No attempted whacking! No Bada-Bing!

Sometimes I feel nostalgic for those times. Especially when I've had a Day From Hell (like today, which has sucked!) I would love to be able to walk downtown with my friends Danielia and Suzie, have pizza and soda followed by a Twix (for the tidy sum of two dollars), spend some time hanging out and gossiping, and then get on with the day.

I'm just saying.

8 comments:

REAL said...

Danielia and Suzie?
Are you sure it wasn't Pauly Walnuts and Joey Pants?

I am sorry about the craptastic day - I think we are both in the same basket there.

Stewie said...

When I was your age, $2 would buy you a house, a car and 3 acres of land!

Lesley said...

real - Ha ha! Did you think of that while riding the Choo Choo?

Oh wait. Damn.

stewie - That's amazing, considering that you're only eight months older than I am. Those were a crucial eight months apparently!

REAL said...

There was a lot of inflation in that summer.

When I was that age two dollars would by you 8 quarters.

I used to love quarters.

Lisa said...

Hehehe! Well, at least you aren't terrified to go into the city where all those pitiful wannabe's came from. Me... let's just say Seattle isn't gonna see me for awhile!

Jenn from WA said...

I'm not an idol fan once it gets going. But I must...MUST watch all the so called "talented" try their way. It never ceases to amaze me how people think they are good singers when, clearly, they SUCK.

That being said, the Seattle version of Idol was - well sad really. Apparently we have no talent in this city now that Pearl Jam and Nirvana (who some could argue were talentless) moved out of town. Hmph! I guess I'll have to audition next time...

And for the record, I spent 2 years in Trenton NJ ...and I'm pretty sure one, if not all, of the Sopranos lived next door to us.

MoSup said...

I was disappointed, as the crazies weren't all that crazy on that episode.

Hope you're having a good weekend to make up for a bad Thursday!

Ranting said...

I'm just glad I have 2 things to like about NJ now!

The Sopranos and The Lesley!!

;)