Wednesday, January 17, 2007

okay, which one of you was it?

Oh hello, my little chickens! I know it's been a while since I've been back to Patron Saint Land to regale you with the minutiae of my life. See, I had a three day weekend AND a ridiculously cheap airline ticket so I was able to travel south to wish my Real a happy birthday in person. A good time was had by all. And by "all" I mean "Real and me." So now I'm back at work and busier than I-don't-know-what, but I just have to take some time to blog. This is what I do for you, my little chickens.

It's no secret that several of you, my dear readers, are clergy types. I was almost one myself (and in my own mind, I totally am one!) and I survived school with you so we're all totally bonded and stuff.

Last night I finally caught up with this week's installment of PostSecret, when what to my wondering eyes should appear...



Okay, which one of you was it? Come on, you can tell me... it's me! Lesleygirl! Patron Saint of Smart Mouths!

Seriously though, does it feel more like a noose some days? Most days? You know that I get conflicted sometimes and find myself dreaming about quitting my job with Startup-dot-org, finishing my unfinished M.Div., and taking the collar on myself. Would I just be taking on a noose? I don't really want that. I mean, I'll finish that M.Div. and all but ordination? I'll have to get back to you on that one.

I have been thinking a lot about the church in general this week though. It's weird, I think I go through spurts of thinking about it. I listened to a This American Life podcast that I copied from Real. It was episode 304 called "Heretics" and was originally broadcast on 12/16/05 and then rebroadcast sometime in November. You can listen free online, and I recommend it highly. It's the story of the Rev. Carlton Pearson, who was a famous and prominent evangelical pastor until he stopped believing in hell and instead embraced universalism. The fallout from this was that he was formally labeled a heretic and his church membership basically eroded, but the interviews with him on TAL were very compelling and very moving. I of course agree with him and I think it's remarkable that such a prominent figure in the evangelical world would embrace such a theology, knowing that it would be rejected in his community. But then I thought maybe the people who preach that "our way or the highway (to hell)" theology really need someone from their own community to preach inclusion to them. Because they probably wouldn't believe it from someone like your Patron Saint (if I went back to preaching, cf. previous) or my fellow Episcopalians, or even some of the good Lutherans I know. Just a thought.

I've also been reading a series that the Times has had this week about Pentecostalism in New York City. Obviously, I'm not a Pentecostalist, but I thought the articles said some interesting things about community. And of course it got me thinking, too, but don't worry, I'm not going to start my own storefront church anytime soon. Although if I did, you all would totally be invited.

So I'm thinking. And of course I'm still wondering. About who sent the postcard to PostSecret. Seriously, okay, which one of you was it? This inquiring mind NEEDS to know!

4 comments:

REAL said...

Okay - I admit it.
I sent in that one.

;)

Lesley said...

Ahh! I should have known!

Actually, methinks the postcard's true owner is too shy to speak up yet. That's okay. I'm a patient girl. I'll wait.

MoSup said...

Real, you have no idea how funny my boyfriend would think it is that you said that. I bet he'd claim to be the sender, too!

MoSup said...

The Lesley, where are you today??