Wednesday, January 24, 2007

what accent?

Apparently, I have an accent! Me! Can you believe? Actually, this thing is pretty accurate, read on...

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Philadelphia

The Inland North

The Midland

The South

Boston

The West

North Central

What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz


Why yes, my accent *is* North Jersey and I'm actually pretty shocked they knew it. Most of these tests will tell me I have a New York or New England accent, which is only partially true. I think it was the whole thing about how Mary, merry, and marry are pronounced three different ways. Not everyone knows that. Some of you really talk funny, you know. I think any traces of Minnesotan that I had picked up while living in St. Paul are gone. Once in a while I find myself saying "about" funny but that's all I've noticed. So what kind of accent do you have? Take the test and find out!

In other news, I'm feeling much better, thank you for asking. I'm still a little stuffy and sore throaty but that's about a thousand times better than I felt a few days ago. I slept a good solid eight hours last night (without waking up to cough!) so I'm feeling all sorts of amazing today. I have my follow-up with the doctor today so we'll see what she has to say.

I have been knitting my ass off to finish a scarf for LesleyMom's birthday. And yes, it's totally possible to knit one's ass off. I have a few more rows to go, so I'll finish it tonight at my local Stitch-n-Bitch. I'll post pictures later this week. It's a beautiful lacy scarf and I'm rather proud of it.

Time for a big meeting. Which I have to run, so that means I have to both (a) stay awake; and (b) not lose my voice during it. Wish me luck, people!

6 comments:

REAL said...

Glad you are feeling better.

Good luck with the meeting.

Sorry about the 8 hours sleep - I mean congrats on the 8 hours sleep. ;)

Next you are going to try and tell me that Fairy and Ferry are pronounced two different ways. Apparently I do not have a North Jersey accent - who would have guessed.

Freak Magnet said...

My inland northern and southern accents are neck and neck. Go figure.

Glad to hear you're feeling better. I don't like sick Lesley. Not you PERSONALLY, but the IDEA of sick Lesley. A sick Lesley sucks.

MoSup said...

I got "North Central" which they say is Minnesotan. But whoever made the quiz didn't make enough distinctions among the North Central. I can easily pick out a Minnesotan accent, and they sound much different to me.

Lesley said...

real - Fairy and Ferry are definitely pronounced differently! So are Erin and Aaron! :)

freak - Thanks. I don't like sick Lesley either. Major suckage!

mosup - I didn't realize that they didn't categorize the midwest enough. I think your accent definitely sounds different than the Minnesotans. I wonder how they'd ask about Yooper accents. Probably something about "Do you use hey instead of eh at the end of your sentences?" :)

Jenn from WA said...

You don't have an accent to me. When I read your blog, you sound just like me. Go figure.

I, shockingly, have a "Western" accent. Though I would say those of us in Seattle don't have an accent, unless you count grundge as an accent.

Ranting said...

glad ur feeling better!!! i am gonna take the quiz in a little bit. I'll have to let u know how it turns out! I wonder what the results will be???? ;0)