Wednesday, January 31, 2007

with all due respect...

Have you ever noticed that when someone prefaces a statement with "With all due respect..." that what they actually mean is "With no respect whatsoever..." Seriously. It's true. Next time someone says it, keep this in mind. And then go for their jugular. Tell them the patron saint sent you.

I had to do just that this morning during a meeting. I was recently given a project to manage that's by far my most obviously visible project yet, which means if it goes well this could mean some very good things for me like moving on up and oh yeah, MORE MONEY. And if it doesn't go so well... well, I just can't entertain that thought. However, the group of people I have to work with make me feel like I'm herding cats. We had a meeting this morning where one person chose to act out. He's nice as pie to me one-on-one but in a meeting he becomes all Captain Passive-Aggressive. I think today he was trying to make some kind of point because his manager was there. I actually don't know what his point was, but what I do know is that he used that "with all due respect" line on me. So I have scheduled some time to meet with him and his manager to go over in painstaking detail what my expectations are and I am going to have him sign his name that he understands what his responsibilities are. I absolutely hate to have to manage like this, but if you disrupt MY meeting with YOUR childish antics, this is what you get. With all due respect, of course.

I went to the Big Town (as in New York -- the place we went to is somewhere in this picture...) with the Onion yesterday. We met on the 7:17 AM train, took the subway together downtown, then walked two crosstown blocks to buy breakfast, then two regular blocks to the office. People, that is a shitload of walking to do with the Onion. You see, the Onion is about 6' 2" or 6' 3" and lanky. Yours truly is 5' 2" and short-legged, and I was carrying a heavy backpack. So I really had to scramble to keep up and all that Onion walking was starting to wear me out! Next time the Onion wants to go into the city with me I need to make alternative arrangements or something. Besides, no one should have to interact with their boss at 7:17 in the goddamn morning.

I am still waiting for my sinuses to behave themselves. STILL. Believe me, I am doing everything I can to get better and this makes me very unhappy. I called the doctor and they want me to come in for a sinus culture so they can check for my old friend the Staph. I am really hoping that it's not. Please hope that it's not right along with me, okay? Thanks.

I think that's all I've got. With all due respect.

4 comments:

REAL said...

Sinus culture?

If they had any culture or sophistication at all they would know better than to mess with you!

Oh and pretty building - we have one that looks just like that except that it is completely different.

True story!

Jenn from WA said...

Ahh The Flat Iron building. Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a penis?

Anonymous said...

I think that when people say that to you, you should say, "How do you like them apples?" or perhaps inquire if they have the pip?

MoSup said...

With all due respect, staph, leave the Lesley alone!