Thursday, February 08, 2007

i don't want to talk about it...

But I guess I can blog about it! What, you ask? Well, okay, I have a story.

Yesterday, I had just arrived in the office and I was chatting with the Onion about some groovy and oh-so-Web 2.0 applications. Specifically Bookmooch and LibraryThing, which are both new and exciting to the Onion. Yes, I know that you've known about them for months already, but the Onion can be a little slow with new trends. He's all "Hey, you know this guy Shakespeare? Homeboy can write!"

So as we're talking, he told me something that his wife had told him. Except he didn't refer to her by her own name. He called her my name. And our names are not at all similar. MY NAME! Holy Mary, Mother of God!!!

I didn't correct him, because I didn't want to draw attention to it, and he just kept right on talking and didn't even notice his faux pas. Then I went back to my desk and had the distinct feeling that I needed to either go home and take a shower or leave work and treat myself to good stiff drink. But I didn't do either. I stayed at work, although later in the afternoon I felt a migraine coming on. I blame the Onion.

So what does this mean? I think there's a couple possible explanations...

1. The Onion has trouble distinguishing between names used for females so he just uses them interchangeably. This is the excuse that Phoebe tried to impersonate a doctor and pass off on Friends after the whole "I, Ross, take thee, Emily Rachel" incident. Bonus points to you if you know her fake doctor name!

2. As Petey had warned me, I have become the Onion's work wife. I think I've been in denial.

3. I need to get a new job. Or win the lottery, and make sure it's an amount that will allow me to retire at my young age.

4. Well, I haven't thought of a # 4 yet. Have you?


Don't worry, people, this won't get me down. Not when I have all this lovely 80s cheese to cheer me up! How's about a little TARZAN BOY?


Incidentally, the persons responsible for the current overabundance of 80s cheese this week know who they are. I'm not going to name names or anything. But let's just say this didn't come out of nothing at all. And youtube is chock full of 80s cheesy goodness.

9 comments:

Jenn from WA said...

OMG - Is it me or does the Tarzan Boy look a little like Vanilla Ice?

And I love the 80's cheese, perfect timing really. We were having a discussion at work of the bad 80's music...that we love to hate.

REAL said...

For some strange reason most of the people I work with have been women (like over 66%) and I have as of yet not had a work wife (I hope - I really really hope).

I wouldn't mind have a male work wife - that would be cool. I used to have Philip and we would talk about BSG (greatest TV show EVER and yes somebody will get the miniseries soon so they will know the awesome goodness).

He would have been cool to go see movies with (we would of had to have had the "I'm not gay seat" between us) but the work part (you know actual work and not talking at work about stuff that is actually interesting) wasn't really something we were into.

BTW if you haven't figured it all out by now - this entire post was an excuse to use the urban word of the day!

MoSup said...

I just think that Real needs to visit your workplace to demonstrate that you are, in fact, Real's Lesley and not Onion's Lesley.

By the way, what a creepy thing to have happen! *shudders*

Lisa said...

Eww!! I feel like I need a shower after reading that.

Lesley said...

jenn - How funny! Well, youtube is chock full o' bad 80s videos, and every time you watch one it recommends more in the sidebar. So addicting!

real - Maybe you need to work some casual undertime and then we could go see a movie together! ;)

mosup - I'm sure that thought has crossed his mind!

lisa - It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who found this creepy! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Overabundance suggests the possibility that there can be too much 80's cheese.

I heartily disagree with that implication.

Oooahooooohoooooohahooooohhhhahoooohahhhhhohhhhhhhhh! Night to night
Gimme the other, gimme the other
Chance tonight
Oh Yeah

Not that anyone would know anything about Baltimora.

With your permission, I feel that that YouTube needs to grace my MySpace.

Love, Anonymous

Lesley said...

anonymous - It pleases me to no end that you know the words! Well, someone else may just have this song on her iPod because she finds that it's good gym-going music. And this same someone just read in Wikipedia that Baltimora's been dead for 10 years and now she feels a little sad.

I just hope he's not all alone, like Tarzan Boy.

Dino aka Katy said...

i miss 80 music

as for the work wife think kind of creepy unless the onion is hot.

I totally forgot to comment yesterday because i went to the libary link and started adding all my books thanks

LutheranHusker said...

Changing the topic a bit, but still post related: going on a limb here, but for the extra credit question, since this tended to be Phoebe's nom de plume of choice, I'm gonna guess she tried to pass herself off as "Dr. Regina Phalange."

BTW, thanks for the writing. I enjoy reading your thoughts!