Saturday, April 19, 2008

hit and run

Or blog and run. You know how it is. I'm otherwise occupied but I have to take time to blog. It's like the law or something.

I turned down an offer of going out to dinner because I just did not feel like going out, crazy girl that I am. I cooked for us instead. It was sort of fabulous, really. Panko and herb-crusted chicken boob, fresh broccoli, roasted potatoes. Oh and some wine, too. Pinot Noir totally goes with chicken, I'll have you know.

I have to go tomorrow morning and buy a birthday gift for my oldest nephew, who will be 14 on Monday. This means that I have been a bad influence an aunt for 14 years as well. Good times.

I took my recycling out today and while standing at the bin and sorting my paper from my cans, I felt something odd brushing against my ankle. I looked down and saw it was a cat and it was licking my ankle! GROSS! I really hope it wasn't one of the gross feral cats that the manager had warned me about when I moved in. The day I signed my lease I also had to sign an agreement that I would not feed the feral cats that sometimes come around. I told the manager not to worry, that my asthmatic ass wouldn't get anywhere near the cats. Although perhaps I should have told that cat that the regular garbage bin would be a much better food source than the paper/cardboard recycling bin.

This morning I felt like taking a walk and lucky for me my apartment complex borders on the former estate of Joseph Bonaparte, erstwhile king of Spain and Napoleon's brother. After Spain kicked him out, he settled right here in New Jersey. Imagine that. The estate grounds are now home to a Catholic missionary seminary, and they didn't seem to mind that I was walking along their trails and shoreline so I will have to go back there sometime. I forgot to bring my camera or else I'd show you how fabulous it was.

When I bought my new bed, the salesman at the Sleepy's was emphatic that I had to rotate it every two weeks. And no, I am not speaking metaphorically. Sickies. I actually managed to rotate it this morning, and I have to say, the whole rotation process would be a LOT easier if the damn thing were not so heavy. I'm not sure how often this thing is going to get rotated. Or perhaps this is a task that I should enlist the help of a Friendly Visitor for. Hmmmmm...

I need some more Pinot. Good night.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Cooked for "us"? Who is "US"???

Freak Magnet said...

Every two weeks? For how long? I turn mine in June and flip it in January. And it's a major undertaking for me, and I'm way taller than you. No offense. (Or at least I picture you at about 5'4". I could be full of hot air.)

Friendly visitor, indeed.

Stewie said...

Wait, do you have to rotate it FOREVER (or the life of the mattress) every two weeks, or every two weeks for, say, two weeks?

Lesley said...

lisa - Hee! I guess it's too late to try to claim I was using the royal "we", isn't it?

freak - I remember some mention of every two weeks, but I don't know if that's for just the first year or what. I'm going to stop by the Sleepy's store and ask them. And you're right, I am a short one. I'm 5-foot-2, eyes of blue, and oh what those five feet can do...

stewie - Not sure. I would just never rotate but I tend to just sleep on one side and I don't want it to start looking all funny from me just sleeping on one side all the time.

Jenn from WA said...

Recipe for panko crusted chicken please!

Jenn said...

"Us", huh?

You sneaky sneakerson!

BTW, I have a hard time finding anything that Pinot Noir doesn't go with.

Was meaning to tell you, I had my first cinnamon dolce frap today -- affrogato style. Holy yum!! Thanks for the tip, lady!

Lesley said...

jenn from wa - Will do! Although it's not really a recipe per se, it's more like "pour these things in a bowl until the mixture looks sorta okay, dip the chicken in it, and then cook said chicken." I learned it from my ex who was a chef.

jenn - Oh yes, I am a total Sneaky Sneakerson! I'm glad to hear you liked the cinnamon dolce frap. They rock! I think I may need one to get through the day today too...