Thursday, April 10, 2008

recipe round one!

I had a really weird day so I have very little inspiration for the blogging. Instead, here's a recipe!!! This is for Giambotta, the Italian vegetable stew I had told you about a few days ago. I would post a photo, but you see, the pot of stew was all gone before I found the box my camera was in. Next time. There's a lot of chopping in this recipe, yes, so I totally recommend investing in one of those Vidalia Choppers from the infomercial. I LOVE mine. It helped me make this stew in no time!

Vegetable Stew (Giambotta)

1/4 cup olive oil
1 bay leaf
2 cloves garlic (or the garlic in the jar is just fine)
2 onions, sliced
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used red potatoes and left the skin on, shhh...)
1 eggplant, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
Salt and pepper
1 28-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes (Yes, the fire-roasted part matters!)
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup torn or chopped fresh basil (10 to 12 leaves)


Heat a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, bay, chopped garlic and onions and saute until they start to change color. Chop the other vegetables and add them to the pot: potatoes, eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and add tomatoes and stock and cook 5 minutes more, to heat through. Turn heat off and stir in basil.

If you make it, let me know. And if you don't like it, then you probably made it wrong and you should come to Chez Lesleygirl so I can show you how it's done.

I am tired and my allergies + the recent explosion of tree pollen is having its way with me. I need sleepies. Or maybe some Nightswimming. It deserves a quiet night, after all...

3 comments:

Snooze said...

Do you bother with salting/draining the eggplant first or does it cook down enough just being in the mix?

Lesley said...

It cooks down enough just being in the mix. I *love* eggplant, and the finished result is very tasty.

Dino aka Katy said...

mhhh sounds good I'd have to make some minor changes and substitutions as I don't like peppers and am not a big fan of zucchini and eggplant but I bet it would taste just as good with some carrots and cauliflower right?