Wednesday, April 23, 2008

we'll crucify the insincere tonight...

It felt like a Smashing Pumpkins kind of night. Not sure why. I haven't been sleeping well, for several reasons. This will just be a quick blog-and-run before some early sleep. I am typing this from my Scandalous Duvet actually! Ooh la la!!!

I followed the Pennsylvania primary with much interest, as I'm sure many of you did. My TV stations all come from Philly and we were inundated with a metric buttload of commercials. I almost miss some of them. I have some very bad feelings about this thing. The first nomination I ever followed closely was the 1984 Democratic race, which was decided by SuperDelegates. And you know how that turned out. Maureen Dowd has an excellent column in today's Times that sums up a lot of my feelings about the matter. Plus, it quotes "Marvin K. Mooney, will you please go now?" Any editorial that quotes Dr. Suess is a-okay with me.

Speaking of gratuitous quotes, I heard the song "Jessie's Girl" earlier today on the "we play anything!" station. That's a total guilty pleasure song, but I think what I like most about it is the line "I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is probably moot." Not enough pop songs incorporate the use of a "moot point." Kudos to you, Rick Springfield!

I made chicken soup after work. Don't be surprised if the recipe shows up here. I had a mint Skinny Cow for dessert. OMG, it was good. Way better than the other flavors. Plus I figured that one little ice cream sandwich was a way better option than that pint of Ben & Jerry's Mint Chocolate Cookie that I had my eye on. Bad!

I think I may need to block the Discovery Health Channel. There are way too many GROSS shows on that channel, and I of course have to watch every last one and get all creeped out by them.

I checked today, and my tax refund is going to be direct-deposited to me this Friday. As in LESS THAN TWO DAYS AWAY. It's quite a bit of money since apparently I had not claimed enough deductions last year and I get the sweet student loan deduction. So if you need me this weekend, I'll be down in Atlantic City where I assume I'll spend it all on hookers and blow. Isn't that what you're supposed to do with a tax refund windfall? If not, lemme know, ok?

6 comments:

Snooze said...

Jessie's Girl... sigh. I remember Rick Springfield when he was on General Hospital.

Mrs.X said...

It's funny about Maureen Dowd - on paper she has that rapier wit that I so appreciate, but then I heard her on Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me (on NPR) and every other sentence was a movie quote. I do this quite often myself, but someone who has won a Pulitzer using movie quotes for 50% of her conversation? I thought that was odd. Or maybe I'm just a harpie.

Sorry you haven't been sleeping well. I know about that and it totally sucks.

If I was getting a refund (which I'm not - pout) I would totally blow it on new shoes. I've been having a hankering. Enjoy Atlantic City! Watch out for all of the old ladies in the bus loads, though.

Lesley said...

snooze - I remember that too! I remember being impressed with how he could talk American even though he was Australian. Except I do remember he called it the "hoes-pital" which I thought sounded so dreamy and Australian! *sigh*

mrs. x - I heard her on "Wait, wait..." too, and was also disappointed. I chose to believe that she was nervous about being on the radio and that explained all the movie quotes. Either that or I, too, am a harpie, which is not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

Hmmm... I think new shoes may be better than Atlantic City. Now I'm thinking maybe new shoes and some more Ikea might be a good use of my windfall.

MoSup said...

Just think how many boxes of wine one could buy with that windfall...

Jenn from WA said...

OMG Love skinny cow mint. My favorite even above the chocolate one.

Dino aka Katy said...

oh I am dying to get our tax return its been delayed so it will be another month or so. We are going to use it for a newer car for Grumpy