Sunday, September 28, 2008

turn around, bright eyes...

Yesterday, LesleyMom asked me if I wanted to go to the movies "to see Man Candy." I knew this of course meant she wanted to see Richard Gere's latest, Nights in Rodanthe. We caught the 4:40 pm show of it today. I've been meaning to introduce a chick flick feature here on the blog, so I decided since this was certainly a chick flick, today is the day!

So, without further ado, here are the Top Five Things I Learned from Watching Nights in Rodanthe:

1. The Law & Order: SUV guy would not make a good husband. First, Julia Roberts ran out in him in Runaway Bride. Then he had all those marital issues on SUV, and now he was a rat husband to Diane Lane. Don't marry him, single ladies!

2. In the movies, people who all live in the same Southern town will have all different accents, even though they are all supposed to have lived there their whole lives. As long as they sound vaguely Southern, I suppose it works.

3. When there's a hurricane approaching, it's a good idea to wait until after it hits to do things like light candles and shutter all the windows. Silly me, I had always thought to do these things before the hurricane arrived.

4. Richard Gere and Diane Lane shouldn't make any more movies together. In their first movie, Unfaithful, she sleeps with that bookish French guy and then Richard Gere brains him with a snowglobe, and the po-po totally think Diane did it. And in this movie, Richard Gere moves to South America to be with his son (who is also Spiderman's BFF and son of the Green Goblin) and then Bad Things Happen.

5. If you haven't seen this movie, don't bother. Wait for the DVD. Or better yet, wait until it becomes a staple for Saturday afternoon TBS or Lifetime. Trust me, it won't take long.


If I had an additional point to make, it would be avoid any and all movies based on books by Nicholas Sparks, but this is only a Top Five, you know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

But Richard Gere is still sexy. And I'm drrunk. but I haven't seen that movie yet. And Sid is trying to tlel me what to write. but just becauseI'm srunk doesnt' mean I can't write. right?

Lesley said...

Of course, Richard Gere is still totally the MAN CANDY!!! And this movie was still way better than that awful Autumn in New York (remember when we saw that in Brenham)???

Anonymous said...

OMG, didn't we almost walk out of that movie???? That must have been the worst movie EVER!

Lesley said...

We were actually thinking of causing a disruption that would get us kicked out of theater along with a refund. Although I think the funniest moment was during the uber-dramatic and tacky sex scene between Richard Gere and Winona Ryder when we yelled "Oh, she just got her cookie!"

Yay for funny memories! Oh and yay for cookies too, of course...

Jenn from WA said...

Oddly enough I read the book for this movie and hated it. Nicholas Sparks is very hit and miss to me. Might have something to do with my moods...maybe.

Note sure why but I LOL at the verification word: konags. Is that Konan's Hags?

Snooze said...

I'll gladly take Christopher Meloni off the market to save all other women!!! omg - now I'm having flashbacks to him in Oz.

I call it SUV too, but it's SVU - special victims unit [or were you deliberately calling it SUV as a joke? If so, ignore this]. Yes, I'm addicted to that show.

Lesley said...

jenn - I haven't read any of his books, and now I don't think I want to. His movies have been mostly MISS with me.

snooze - Yes, of course I call it SUV as a joke. And I did love him in Oz, except now I watch SUV and I keep waiting for him to take off his clothes, just like he did in Oz. And he never does!

Freak Magnet said...

When you said man candy, I immediately thought George Clooney and Brad Pitt.