Tuesday, June 23, 2009

carby, not crabby

The Carb Monster is giving me terrible cravings again. I almost cried right in the middle of ShopRite, just seeing all the baked goods in there. And I told LesleyMom that I would pretty much kill someone for a bagel today. She asked if I can have one, and I said I'd rather not go there just yet. One day we had bagels at work a few months ago, so I cut a half bagel into a half (so that's a quarter!) and ate half of that (an eighth!) and it filled up my pouch something fierce, to the point that I got a mad case of the foamies** and wanted to kill myself. I think I need to wait until Seymour the Pouch is a little older. Oh that and I don't want to give into the Carb Monster. Ugh. I wish I knew an easy way to get it to quiet down.

** DO NOT READ this paragraph if you are easily squicked. Don't say I didn't warn you. The foamies are a side-effect of filling one's pouch with something too dense. The goblet cells in the pouch start mass-producing mucus to try to lubricate things. In people with normal intestines, you wouldn't even notice this. But for those of us who've been sliced and diced, there's no room for it to go but up and I'm left with a mouth full of way-too-thick saliva that just won't stop. Yeah, it's gross, but I figured I should explain.

So, once again, I need to kick the Carb Monster. I haven't given into it (yay, nerves of steel!) but OMG, it's hard.

In other, much happier news, people, can you believe that Thursday will be my ten-month surgiversary? I feel like now I'm coasting into the home stretch for the one year milestone! Woo hoo!!!

7 comments:

Mr. J said...

Here is my suggestion. Make your shopping list when you are at home or someplace where the visual imput isn't there for carbs. Make your ideal grocery list. Now find a way to not deviate from that list. Perhaps a personal shopper.

Step two, if someone brings a bagel around you kick them in the sheen.

Anonymous said...

I'm a carboholic........I feel your pain.......stay strong! Your goal is in sight! xoxo

Lesley said...

@Mr. J - Well, I never deviate from the list, the problem is that my grocery of choice is set up so that you have to walk right by the in-store bakery to get to the other sections of the store. Seriously, it's one-way only and that way goes by the bread, bagels, and other starchy things.

@Anon - Thanks. I *can* do this!

Mr. J said...

Thats where the personal shopper recomendation comes in.

Lesley said...

I thought about doing the online grocery ordering, but I don't think I can trust anyone else to pick out things like meat and produce for me.

Not as bad a Freak Magnet as Norman said...

I don't know if this will help you, but when I'm walking past the muffin display with those huge muffins that are like a million calories a bite and I want one so so so SO BAD, I imagine some grimey person has licked them and put them back. Works for me every time.

Lesley said...

It works for me most days to think of things like that, or to think that whoever touched them had Pee Hand. I don't know how to describe the cravings, but it's nothing like I've experienced before. I actually think it has more to do with that the Levaquin I took for my sinus infection was making my blood sugar goofy, and my body was trying to fix it. Either way, it sucks.