Thursday, June 25, 2009

for no mere mortal can resist the evil of the...

THRILLER!

Oh people, Michael Jackson? How very sad. I feel like part of my childhood has died. I am listening to Thriller right now, and let me tell you, it's as good today as it was in 1982. Also, I may have just done the Thriller dance in my living room, but I can neither confirm nor deny such rumors.

As I was driving home, every, and I mean EVERY radio station was playing Michael Jackson music. It brought me back to the summer of 1983, which as we've already discussed, was the BEST year for pop music EVER. The Easter Bunny had brought Thriller cassettes for both of my sisters and me that spring. My mom was afraid that if we didn't each get our own, we'd fight over it. I can't think of that summer without thinking of Thriller. I was 9 years old, but I do remember that. It was on every radio station, playing in every store you went into, and coming out of every car window. I can remember being at the beach and hearing it coming out of every boombox on the beach, and all the kids doing impromptu Thriller dances and moonwalking. No matter how creepy or strange he may have become in later years, MJ was a phenomenon then, in a way that I don't think we've seen since.

It feels like this is the day the pop music died.

It was hard to find an embeddable video on youtube, but I chose this one, from the 25th anniversary of Motown. I actually remember watching this when it was on, and dancing with LesleyMom and my sisters in the living room (LesleyDad was away on business a lot). I remember thinking he looked funny with the hat, and then when he threw it into the audience, I thought that was smooth and that whoever caught it was the luckiest person ever.



Requiescat in pace,
Michael.

4 comments:

Jenn from WA said...

I kinda think of his death in comparison to what my parents must have felt when Elvis died. Such a part of the make up of the music we listen to and love today.

Mr. J said...

My dad had a copy of Thriller on vinal. When I was I guess about 4 or 5 (84-85) the record player was in mine and my brother's room. The vinal copy of thriller was also. My brother who was 7 or 8 at the time loved it. It gave me nightmares. Needless to say he tortured me with it every single night. Maybe I was the first generation of kids to be scared of MJ.

The more things change the more they stat the same, 25 years later and my brother is still torturing me, just not with MJ.

Lesley said...

@Jenn - I agree. Although I think MJ was even more talented than Elvis! :)

@Mr. J - You are such a young'un. Was it the song Thriller that scared you? Because I can't imagine Beat It or Billie Jean being that scary...

Sharon said...

My first vinyl LP was Thriller. I still have it and fondly open it every once and a while to the double picture on the inside. Part of my childhood grew dim last night out of loss. No person can discount that iconic level of talent that we may never see again in our lifetime. I blogged about it also. In the end, he was just like everyone else in a white sheet and a simple white van. I hope he kind find peace now.