Sunday, June 07, 2009

forget about the worries on your mind, you can leave them all behind...

I just went on to YouTube, and among my recommended videos were two songs by DeBarge. 'Memba them? Yeah, so does YouTube. They thought I'd enjoy hearing "Who's Johnny" and that "Rhythm of the Night" song. They thought wrong. Not sure what made these show up in my recommendations, but I wil pass on that action, thank you very much.

I don't like being a complainer but I'm feeling sicky today. For the past few days, actually. I think it's bronchitis. I hate getting that, and I especially hate getting it in the late spring like this. But I am determined to kick this thing's ass so it *will* be short-lived. And yes, I'll go see the doctor tomorrow and get this all figured out.

Since I wasn't feeling so hot, it finally gave me an excuse to stay home and not do too much. I haven't had a day to do that in way too long. On a possibly related note, if any of you have advice about how to avoid saying yes to things I really don't want to do just because I don't want the other person to feel bad, I would appreciate it. I think I need to develop some sense of healthy selfishness. I had a VERY good sense of it right after my surgery, which was understandable because just about all my brainpower went to things like protein grams, getting enough fluids, exercise, and not dying of a blood clot. Now that life feels more normal, I've lost it. I need it back. I don't know where I'm going with this. I'm just saying.

On a note that is possibly related in ways I don't care to explore, if you make plans with me, I would be most appreciative if you called to break said plans, rather than flaking out. Avoidant behavior isn't attractive on anyone. Plus, I hate flakes. The Lesley is not amused.

The Tonys are now over so it's time for bed. Next year, maybe I'll even throw a Tonys party, or at least one that's attended by more than just me and an orange kitteh. Good night.

3 comments:

Jenn from WA said...

Oh the ever complicated always saying yes syndrom. I finally broke my habit of saying yes, but answering a request by simply saying, "Oh man, that sounds great. Unfortunately, I've overbooked myself right now. But do include me next time." The key though is to not do that every time with the same person. So far it's worked for me. People seem to understand - for the most part.

knittinpreacher said...

"I'm sorry but I can't." DO NOT EXPLAIN. That's where I get in trouble, I start explainign and offer an openign and then wind up saying yes.

"I have plans" also works. Your plans may be with teh kitteh on the couch, but they are valid plans.

Pere Callahan said...

I have to admit I had trouble saying no for a long time, then I found this little book called: Artful Dodging by Jeanne Martinet. It is... hmm... it really is not a self help book but it kind of is. Short book easy to understand and use. Might help.