Wednesday, November 11, 2009

don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past...

Feeling another notch toward "better" today, kids. I'm starting to think that maybe this whole feeling bad about how far I have to go is just part of the process. However, it doesn't have to define the process. And now I'm going to stop using the word "process."

You see, I like to imagine my whole weight-loss journey taking place like an 80's-movie-style montage, and the point I'm at now would be where we see our hero struggling and we wonder if she's going to make it after all, and then BAM! Key change! Cue the "Rocky" theme! And the riff of "The Final Countdown"! Oh hell, throw in "Eye of the Tiger" too!

And so the hero battles on. My huge work project is winding down this week and today involved a lot of scrambling around for yours truly. Throughout the workday I found myself thinking "I really can't wait to get to the gym!" and when I realized this I thought "whoa... the what and the who now?" I worried before surgery how I'd deal with stress after surgery, and well people, I think I've found my way. Believe me, not that long ago I would have spent a stressful day at work counting the minutes until I could go home, order takeout, and curl up on the couch with some Ben & Jerry's. Tonight, instead of all that, I went to the gym for my one hour of cardio (woo hoo!), then swung by Trader Joe's, went home and cooked a nutritious yet savory dinner, and felt about a million times better than I would have had I stuck with the whole take-out/ice cream/veg out trifecta. Baby steps and all that, but sometimes those baby steps have huge results. I should remember that.

Now you must excuse me, but our hero needs some sleep. Cue some inspirational sleeping music.

1 comment:

Not as bad a Freak Magnet as Norman said...

I'm glad you're going to stop using, and hopefully thinking, process. I guess in some ways, it is as far as some things go, but to say it like that to me means there's an ending. You're not ending anything - you're living a whole brand new life, forever.

And you're right - it's a delicious feeling when you look forward to working out. I used to go nuts when I couldn't do my thing. Because it's not just that you're exercising, you're treating yourself like you love her like crazy when you take the time out fot that. GO TEAM LESLEY!!!