Tuesday, November 17, 2009

shoot that poison arrow through my hearrrrrt...

Who's got two thumbs and gets random 80s songs stuck in her head? THIS CHICK! See subject line if you don't follow.

I'm sure you were all on the edge of your seats waiting for an update, but the big handout for the big conference? DONE. I emailed it off with ten minutes to spare! Go me!!! The problem is that now I'm going to have to come up with other things to say during my talk, because all the best stuff is in the handout. I'll have to crack a few jokes, too. The librarians ate that up at my last gig.

Now that I've become quite a Zumba and Step regular at the gym, I have a few gym friends, which I do appreciate, and then there are other people who, since they see me a few times a week, feel familiar enough to chat with me before and after class. Sometimes these conversations happen when I'm in the locker room and shirtless, but apparently this is what you do at the gym. I have to say, a lot of the conversations are of the sort that I previously had thought only happened in commercials for tampons and yogurt. Except those commercials never involve shirtless women in locker rooms. Maybe they'd move more product if they had them.

I've been doing these classes for about six months, so my gym pals are of course noticing that I've lost weight. Sometimes that makes for awkward conversation, too. They'll compliment me, I'll say "thank you, I'm working hard", then sometimes they'll ask how much. Do I have to answer that? Do I have to specify that I had surgery? While I do think it's good to get the word out about how fabulous bariatric surgery can be, sometimes I just don't feel like having that conversation. Other times, I totally get off on the wide-eyed reaction I get when I say just how much I've lost. I have a lot of surgery friends whose surgery is a very closely-guarded secret but I feel like the further out I get and the more weight I lose, the less of a need I feel to hide it from anyone. It's not like I could hide the fact that I was clinically super morbidly obese. And it's not like I can hide the weight loss. Besides, I am proud of what I've done.

And now, on a semi-related note, I just heard the washer stop, so I need to put my gym clothes in the dryer and get to bed. Then tomorrow I can wake up and do it all over again. G'night!

4 comments:

Not as bad a Freak Magnet as Norman said...

Maybe you can measure in sizes? "Oh, I lost 10 sizes!!" That's giving an answer without being TOO specific.

MoSup said...

A+ blog! Hilarious description of locker room conversations AND mentioning laundry! BRAVO!

Jared said...

Maybe you can measure in abstract units like I have lost a Joey.

Lesley said...

@freak - I'd have to know what size I am now though, and I have no freakin' clue!

@MoSup - Thank you, my dear!

@Jared - I think at this point it's a Joey and a Katie. Or a Joey and a Billy.