Tuesday, July 27, 2010

why is this chica smiling?

Well you would be too, if you were me! Which you're not. But if you were...

So, um, yeah, I went to Mexico! As you may remember, I went there two years ago, not long before my weight-loss surgery.  And let me be the first to tell you, there is a world of effing difference between vacations before and after losing 200+ pounds. I mean, I am just saying.

The differences started pretty much as soon as the plane landed. Oh wait, perhaps before, as once again I got on the plane and thought "Wow, they have such wide aisles on this airline! And such huge seats!" Once again, it didn't occur to me that perhaps my ass is smaller now. One day my brain will click with all these changes. I hope.

When we landed, I said to my traveling companion K that it's a huge, long-ass walk from the plane to immigration. Because, that's how I remember it. I remember it being about 100 degrees and my feet hurt and I hated my carry-on bag and the fact that I had to carry-on my CPAP too and the walk was ENDLESS.  This time, I started walking and thought "Oh, is that it?"  I was just a little embarrassed by that revelation.

One of the (many!) perks of our trip was that we had a huge amount of credit to spend on excursions, so we opted to visit the ruins at the Mayan seaport of Tulum on Tuesday.  It was about 100 degrees (no, seriously) and the sun was strong, but K and I together managed the almost one-mile walk from the bus to the ruins. Once inside the walled city, we were both so hot (and so hawt!) that we shed our cover-ups and opted to hike around the ruins in our bathing suits -- see photo above, that's me on the cliffs above the beach at Tulum.  And I was perfectly comfortable like that.  We then went on to descend and ascend the very steep and open staircase to the beach and enjoyed splashing in the warm clear-blue water.

All this may sound like "well, so what?" to you, but to me, I can't take these things for granted.  Two years ago, I wouldn't have been able to do ANY of this.  Believe me, I enjoyed that earlier trip to Mexico, but traveling again this time with so many more options was liberating beyond belief.  And that is why the chica in the photo above is smiling, in her coral hat and her blue flowery bathing suit.  You'd be smiling too if you kicked as much ass as she does!

Stay tuned for more details. For now, I must sleep, as I seem to have brought him a wee cold from Mexico.

3 comments:

Snooze said...

So amazing how your health and fitness has skyrocketed.

Jenn from WA said...

Can you hear the cheers going up from Washington? I'm trying to be super loud with "ROCK ON WITH YOUR BAD SELF!!!!"

Kathleen said...

The week was full of major "wows". Although I know that term is over-rated! However it was truly amazing to experience all of this with you :) WE ROCK!