Wednesday, March 09, 2011

ashy

I'm all ashy now, because it's Ash Wednesday and all. Unlike yesterday, today you're getting a numbered list. (Please note the difference. You know who you are.) Tonight there's even a theme: Ash Wednesday!

1. There are times that things happen which tell me that without a doubt, I am LesleyMom's daughter. There was such a moment tonight. LesleyMom came to my church with me for Ash Wednesday Mass, and after Communion, she whispered to me "I forgot your church uses tawny port! It brings back such good memories!" Yes, that's right, my mother can identify wine with one sip! She then told me that her mom (my granny) used to keep tawny port around because it was just the thing to warm you up on a cold night. Duly noted!

2. As I have done other years, I am giving up Starbucks for Lent. Of course, this doesn't mean that I'm actually giving up Starbucks (since I don't think Baby Jesus would be impressed with such a thing anyway) but once Easter rolls around I'm going to give a donation to a local food bank equivalent to what I've spent at Starbucks during Lent.

3. I am also finding myself (once again) oddly comforted by the reminder that I am dust, and to dust I shall return. Not only that but people I don't like? Dust. Any current drama? Dust. Worrying about finding a new job? DUST!


This collection of dust is existing on the best terms she can, and now she must sleep.

2 comments:

Snooze said...

I like your Starbucks idea. The donation afterwards is great.

Jenn from WA said...

Your donation of Starbucks fund to a local food bank is brilliant and should give you a lot of KARMA dollars in return!