Tuesday, August 16, 2011

belated birthday

I forgot to mention yesterday (because apparently I was too busy with the rainy day and Monday getting me down) that it was Luna's first birthday!

I'm gonna play with catnip toys like it's my birthday!
Yup, the little runt is now one year old! Well, I don't know if she was actually born on August 15th, but when I took her to the vet for the first time (her diagnosis was Kitten Of Unknown Origin) he said she was four weeks old, so I counted back four weeks, and decided on August 15th. I figured that since it's also the Feast of the Assumption that would make it a very good birthday for Luna. Now I'm hoping that the fact that she's no longer technically a kitten will mean that she'll calm the hell down and stop being such a terror, but I've been reading up on the personality traits of cats who were orphaned as kittens, and well, I'm just not going to get my hopes up there. She's definitely a tiny thing, just 7 lbs, as opposed to Clementine, who's almost 13. I've been trying to get a photo of the two of them together for a comparison, but it's almost impossible to do.

Luna's certainly not as tiny as she once was -- when I first took her in, she would climb into one of my Crocs to take a nap and I kept looking at her and thinking "I hope she's really a cat, and doesn't turn out to be a squirrel that I've let into my house!" -- but she's definitely a peanut. I was proud of myself that I weighed both of the cats using actual numbers. You see, the easiest way to weigh a cat at home is to get on the scale while holding them, then weigh yourself without the cat and calculate the difference. I don't like to weigh myself very often because obsessing about numbers makes me crazy. Seriously, I'll go months without doing it. But yet, sometimes I just want to know a ballpark number of how much I weigh, so I'll get on the scale while holding one of the cats, and then wonder if it's possible that I'm holding a 50 lb cat. Oh how I wish! Well, okay, I don't wish for a giant-ass cat, but I wouldn't mind being 50 lbs lighter.

All good things in all good time, though.

1 comment:

Freak Magnet said...

I like that Sweet Caroline is still all wound up. Sebastian just IS. It's boring. Sweet Caroline makes up for that.