Sunday, September 11, 2011

i heart new york

As I mentioned yesterday, I haven't always been pleased with the actions of our country after 9/11 so I'm sorry, but I can't always jump on the "proud to be an American" bandwagon. And the First Amendment gives me the right to tell you that!

I can, however, tell you that I am ridiculously proud to be a New Yorker. And I love love LOVE this video!



I also very much recommend this opinion piece by Paul Krugman in today's NY Times. Very well said, sir.

And while I'm at it, I'm also going to use my First Amendment rights to say that while today's Facebook postings didn't annoy me nearly as much as I thought they would, there were still some rather annoying ones. Yes, we all remember where we were when we heard the news, but unless you were fleeing a burning building or metropolis, or waiting for news about a loved one, no one really gives a shit. Oh you were worried because you knew someone who knew someone who this one time took a plane that totally looked like the one that crashed? Yeah, keep that to yourself. We don't care.

In other news, in an effort to not overwhelm myself with the media coverage, I watched just a small snippet of the tributes this morning, then got myself all glammed up and went to a Zumba master class. It felt really good to get out and do something active, and the class itself was all sorts of awesome. It was taught by a guy who's featured in the new Zumba Wii game. I had met him at the convention, and he remembered me! It's funny, when I go to Zumba events now, people walk up to me and say "Are you Lesley?" Apparently, the word is out. You can all say you knew me when.

It also felt good to get in a killer workout because 9/11 did factor in to my decision to have weight-loss surgery, get active, and take care of myself. You see, when I used to go to NYC for work, I would find myself exhausted by the commute, all the walking, and all the stairs, because it always happens that the subway you want is no less than three flights of stairs underground, and there are no escalators. Can you imagine walking three (or four) flights of stairs back up to the street while carrying one or two laptops and an additional 200+ lbs on your frame? Well, it was no fucking picnic, I can tell you that. One day it occurred to me that if there were another emergency, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get myself evacuated and to safety in a timely manner. And I wouldn't want to put anyone else in danger because they had to help me or wait for me. So while I pray to God that we never have another situation like 9/11, I do like knowing that if the worst were to happen, I would be at least able to merengue march my way out of there to safety.

And I leave you with the collect that I prayed this night ten years ago. I have a big geeky love for the Book of Common Prayer, and this is my favorite prayer therein:

Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

3 comments:

Snooze said...

I smiled at the fact that you are now renowned for Zumba.

Anonymous said...

Do you actually teach Zumba? Like do you have an actual class somewhere? If so, where is it?

Lesley said...

Anonymous, I can't teach right now because I've just recovered from surgery, and have only been allowed back at the gym for the last week and a half. I plan to resume teaching later this year.