Wednesday, February 13, 2013

midweek meh

Numbered list time!

1. I worked on my budget stuff earlier tonight. In totally unrelated news, being unemployed for 15 months did not have a good effect on my finances. Throw in making some expensive repairs on an old car (very, VERY stupid to have done, in retrospect) plus working as a consultant for the last 10 months plus paying for health insurance plus no paid time off plus having to buy a new car plus a hurricane plus a very long unpaid Christmas break plus an unpaid surgery leave, and... well, let's just say it's a little overwhelming. Oh and to top it all off, I have moved into an insane tax bracket and I don't have a whole lot that I can deduct. And it's not going to be feasible to buy some real estate this year to get a deduction. And for some reason, I can't claim the cats as deductions.

Years ago I had sworn that I was opting out of the recession -- meaning that I wasn't going to stress out about it or let it otherwise negatively affect my life -- and I still believe that I'm not a victim of the bad economy per se, but man, I wish I could catch a break. I almost feel bad saying that because I am so much better off than a lot of people I know. And now that I've complained, I need to shake it off and figure something out.


2. In much more fun news, I got my hair cut earlier tonight. I'd post a picture but I don't want you all to burn your eyes from all the hotness. The woman who cuts my hair gave me some helpful relationship advice -- she's been on the other side of things from where I am, so to speak -- and even offered to make some phone calls on my behalf, which cracked me up. My favorite pearl of wisdom was "sometimes you need to get Italian to get your point across in a relationship." I asked "you mean like I should flip a table?" Apparently, the answer is yes. Interesting.


3. Today I got up and went to Mass at 7:00 AM for Ash Wednesday. I know I've said this other years, but this year I once again felt some comfort in being told that I am to dust and to dust I shall return. Eventually. In a long, long time, I hope. Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind...


4. Tomorrow (as in Thursday) marks five weeks since my surgery. I'm happy in that I like the results so far. I'm not happy that I still have pain, still have to deal with gauze and tape and other incision fun, still have a lot of swelling and the resulting need for the doctor to stick needles in me to drain said swelling. Oh and I can NOT overstate this but I hate that I can't work out!!!


That's four. Time for sleepy-bye. Good night, my loves.

No comments: