Monday, June 09, 2014

oh monday, monday

I was going to write something last night but then I didn't feel like blogging. But you know, I missed the Sunday night reflections. Back when I was a resident chaplain, every Monday morning I had to turn in a list of "What I Taught Myself" during the previous week. Really, it was what I had learned, but when one is a resident chaplain, one does not simply "learn," one teaches oneself! Anyway, I think about that sometimes on Sunday nights, even though my residency was a long time ago. Sometimes it's nice to think about what I've learned during the previous week, even when it's things I would just as soon forget.

So now it's Monday and I'm at my office. As you locals know, the weather today was beyond awful, and my commute was similarly awful. It was one of those commutes where I start thinking "That's it, I'm never getting there. I'm just going to live here in the Route 29 tunnel. Someone please feed my cats for me." But I made it through the rain, I kept my world protected, I made it through the rain, I kept my point of view...

Ahem. Hey, it's always time for Barry Manilow. Don't judge.

I'll spare you a "What I Taught Myself" today just because I have the lazy and don't feel like it. But I will tell you three things from my weekend. Why three? Because I'm a third kid, I guess. I don't know.

1. Two people surprised the hell out of me this weekend. I mean, it's rare when one person can shock me, but two? In one weekend? The who and the what now? One shocked me in a very disappointing way, and I'm feeling very hurt and betrayed by this. Not sure what else I can even say about it, since even thinking about it gives me a case of the vapors, and it's far too early in the day for me to start drinking vodka tonics with extra lime. The other shocked me in a very surprisingly good way that I never expected or saw coming. I'm actually very happy with that turn of events.

2. For some reason, despite my best efforts, my most recent bloodwork showed that my Vitamin D levels are still too low. So in order to remedy this, I spent a lot of time outside in my lawn chair reading and attempting to soak up some sun. Here I am yesterday, with my Kindle and a bottle of seltzer. Whiskey Sour flavored seltzer? Oh yes. It sounded weird enough to be intriguing, so I tried it. Very refreshing. And on the Kindle was "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves." This is one of the best books I've read in a while. I totally recommend it, but if you decide to read it, do not read any reviews of it first!!! Seriously. You will want to be able to appreciate the plot twist without any outside influence.

3. I did a minor cook-ahead this weekend. I roasted a chicken for my lunchtime big salads, and I baked some sugar-free flourless peanut butter cookies, which actually turned out pretty awesome. I'm wondering if I can use the same recipe with almond butter, as the almond butter has fewer carbs than the peanut butter. I feel like right now I've got a good handle on breakfasts, lunches, and snacks, but I find myself at a loss at dinnertime with no idea what to make, and there are only so many times I can just say "fuck it, I'll just make scrambled eggs for dinner."

That's three. And now back to work for me. Have a happy Monday, people.

2 comments:

Jenn from WA said...

Its because of stories of your commute that I am forever grateful I drive all of 5 miles to work.

Lesley said...

I would love a commute like that! Most days I can't complain. I drive more miles now than when I worked in Princeton, but it's about half the time because all the roads into Princeton are incredibly congested. But for me, on the days when it's bad, it's very very bad. Like when it's heavy rain or all the snow and ice we had this winter. Or when the Delaware flooded. That was big fun!

But really, I can't complain. Most days it's 22 minutes. Princeton would be 45, and the city would be just under 2 hours. Yikes!